Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 14:17:34 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsiformat

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 21:55:57 +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I have a block on a SCSI disk (Fujitsu M2954S-512 )
> which I cannot write to - fsck hangs eternally.
>
> Besides from trying the SCSICNTL utility from Adaptec
> (which I had to boot off of a DOS floppy) is
> there a way of formatting a drive from being
> booted under FreeBSD? E.g. by sending a sequence of
> approriate commands to the scsi bus?

You can do it with camcontrol(8), see the examples section in the man page
for the command.

I've also written code to implement 'camcontrol format', but I have gotten
very little feedback on it in 8 months or so.  Would you like to test it?
It is located here:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/~ken/camcontrol.format.20000116

Ken
--