Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:43:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        phk@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: procfs_lookup() and jail interaction

So I've largely resolved these concerns -- as a synthetic in-memory file
system, procfs is not using the name cache -- the issue I'm running into
now in procfs is with the open() syscall.  Following the p_stuff patches,
procfs_getattrt() and so on all return ENOENT.  However, an attempt to
call open(/proc/1, O_CREAT) results in an EISDIR error, instead of EROFS.
I believe this may be a result of that type check happening in vn_open,
above the VFS layer, resulting in procfs_* never seeing the request, and
thereby revealing the presence of the directory.  You can replicate this
simply by calling, ``touch /proc/1'' with kern.ps_showallprocs set to 0.
It should be the same if you apply the p_stuff.diff patch previously
advertised on -security, which cleans up a number of inter-process
authorization checks, as well as vaccess().

  Robert N M Watson