Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 23:00:55 -1000
From:      Gary Dunn <knowtree@aloha.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Password Problems With Samba

I have installed the latest Samba on a FreeBSD 3.x box and cannot
resolve serveral problems. Here are some details:

1. From WinNT 4.0 I can connect to a public share without any problems.

2. I cannot connect to a printer unless it is public. (Anybody reading
this could print on my printer!) Not good.

3. Print jobs acumulate in /var/spool/samba -- If I don't delete by hand
once a day the disc gets full. (They print fine.)

4. I have tried to limit connections to just our subnet, but the
restriction does not appear to be in force (maybe the public status
takes precedence?)

5. Currently only I have a user account on the FreeBSD box. When I
connect using a co-worker's WinNT box, logged in as them, I do not see
my home folder, but when I connect from my WinNT system I see my folder.
When I try to open the folder I get a username/password challenge dialog
box (my username and password are the same on both ends) and after
manually entering the same information I am told I cannot access my
folder from this station. When I try the same thing from a Win95 via a
login through my ISP I can access my personal folder.

Overall I'd say there is something wrong with the passwords, but what?

--
Gary Dunn
Knowledge Tree