Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:05:54 -0600
From:      John <john@starfire.mn.org>
To:        freebsd-config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble with "make installworld" and "make installkernel"

I am having a peculiar problem where "make installworld" blows up
trying to install a locally-generated file.  How it learns of that
file and decides to try to install it is entirely mysterious to
me - hopefully somone in this group will be able to lend some
wisdom and insight in to this.

Let me tell you where I am and where I'm trying to go:

Starting Point:
main server: FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE (Dexter)
test server: FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE (Jargon)
laptop: FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE (Pearl)

Desired end point:
FreeBSD 4-STABLE on all

Method:
1) cvsup to main server (Dexter)
2) make buildworld on main server
3) make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC; make buildkernel KERNCONF=DEXTER2;
   make buildkernel KERNCONF=JARGON; make buildkernel KERNCONF=PEARL;  on
   main server
4) Reboot laptop Perl into single-user mode; manually configure network
   interface and nfs mount dexter:/usr/src and dexter:/usr/obj
5) make reinstallkernel KERNCONF=PEARL on pearl
** this is my first gripe - if you use "installkernel" instead of
*** "reinstallkernel" this uses the install options that
** wants to remove the "kernel" file from /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PEARL
** which means that either this will fail, or you have to set up
** a "-maproot=0" in the exports file.  Considering that it leaves
** all the .o files and other cruft in the tree, it is absolutely
** asinine that it feels it needs to remove the linked kernel.
5a)do the maproot and try again - succeeds!
6) reboot target machine (laptop Pearl) into single-user mode
7) mergemaster -p
8) make installworld
   Despite what it says in The Complete FreeBSD, I don't see any
   support for "make reinstallworld" for build server support.
9) mergemaster
10)cp /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC /kernel.GENERIC
   because if you do a "make installkernel" it will
   a) overwrite your custom kernel
   b) delete the kernel from the obj/src tree, so you won't have it
      to use on your other systems, and
   c) needlessly copy the kernel modules
11)Reboot target machine into multi-user mode, use and enjoy!
## Laptop Pearl, which started at 4.8-RELEASE but was relatively
## "vanilla" is now running 4.9-STABLE like a champ.

So, having successfully completed that update, it was time to try
the FreeBSD 4.3 test machine by repeating steps 4 to through 11
for Jargon.  Jargon is a lot more highly customized.

Since this is a FreeBSD 4.3 system, I was careful to use the "new"
mergemaster, as the FreeBDS 4.3 mergemaster does not support "-p".

Everything went fine up to the "make installworld".  Then things
blew up as I described above.  It tries to install jargon-hub.mc
and jargon-hub.cf - which seems ridiculous, because those are
files I created.  Now, I don't have a lot of experience with
this whole "make install..." stuff.

Since I did a full system backup before I started this process,
I deleted the two files in question and re-ran the "make installworld"
but with the same exact result!

So - I'm really confused.  Why is it trying to install files that
I created?  Should I have have created "source" files for these?

I really want to get the main server (dexter) up to 4.9 due to
some NAT configuration issues and hardware support issues, but
I don't dare try it as long as things are failing on the test
server (Jargon).

Suggestions?
--

John Lind