Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 15:25:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   NewComer Questions...

I am learning slowly, and just discovered this mailing list.

In way of introduction, I am working on a high speed database
engine for embedded telephony applications.

We need to develop the following functionality:

1.  Multi-initiator support
2.  DLM
3.  Non-stop operation
4.  Very large (hundreds of Gigabytes) databases
5.  Very fast (400 I/O's per second sustained) databases.

Because O/S source is very criticsl for such effort, the
``free'' ones area natural choice.

After 2 years or more of Linux usage.  I decided (at least
for now) to not use it.  FreeBSD seems very attractive.

My questions to this forum are:

1.  Minor device designation for systems with up to 20 disk
    controllers (PCI), FCAL interfaces (with over 100 targets
    per bus.  controllers with multiple busses, etc.

2.  Naming conventions for /dev entries for such beasts.

3.  Moving all SCSI devices to a /dev/{r}dsk...

4.  Any documents about SCSI HBA driver entry points

5.  Anyone interested in helping out

Thanx in advance,

Simon