Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 02:13:32 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Jason T. Luttgens" <lucky@lansters.com>, 'Doug Hardie' <bc979@lafn.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "'David W. Chapman Jr.'" <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Subject:   Re: Network performance question

Mike Smith(msmith@freebsd.org)@2001.04.02 16:15:23 +0000:
> It's a reasonable assumption; it sounds like you haven't tuned the
> FreeBSD box very well, so it's doing a lot of disk I/O.
>
> > I tried the test under FreeBSD with the NetGear card too - in addition to
> > the 3COM. It's kinda strange, but when using the NetGear card and outputting
> > tcpdump to /dev/null there were no problems, not even many interface errors
> > (where as writing to a file causes the network to go down and tons of
> > interface errors about halfway through the capture).
>
> This sounds like the NetGear card has issues with other PCI bus activity.

what exactly is the mainboard hardware? in which slot is the card?
i recall having had severe problems on some bx tyan board with 5 pci
slots. when i used slot 1 or 5 i had dropped interrupts since they were
shared with i tink the onboard scsi. using the middle 3 slots the
problem was gone. linux seems to handle interrupt sharing on pci
differently from feebsd.

/k

--
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- http://www.webmonster.de -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de