Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:46:03 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.docb.mk

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 01:30:58PM +0200, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> I tried to add docbook targets to bsd.sgml.mk and give up. Our
> bsd.*.mk files are unreadable and write-only.

Agreed :-)

> So I wrote a new system make file for docbook sgml files. It is
> small and easy to read.
>
> A sample makefile for tutorials/devel:
>
> DOC=    devel
> VOLUME= tutorials/${DOC}
> SRCS=   ${DOC}.docb
>
> .include <bsd.docb.mk>

Sorry, don't like it. Specifically, it assumes that DocBook documents are
going to have a .docb suffix (something I thought had been discussed
back in March/April this year).

The body of doc/en/handbook/Makefile can probably be used as a starting
point. The suffix files for .sgml.html works out the DTD of the source
.sgml file and then tries to do the right thing (i.e., it converts .sgml
files that are in the HTML DTD using sgmlnorm, it converts .sgml files
that are in the DocBook DTD using Jade (although it could use instant).

I think using the file suffix to use the DTD is wrong, particularly when
the website doesn't follow the same rules.

--+==[ Nik Clayton becomes Just Another Perl Contractor in 17 days. ]==+--
                      She's still dead. Deal with it.