Date:      Sun, 11 Dec 2011 10:38:45 -0600
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        doc-committers@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org, cvs-doc@FreeBSD.org, emulation@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, Manolis Kiagias <manolis@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop chapter.sgml doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu chapter.sgml

On 12/11/11 08:24, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 15:29:38 -0600 Nathan Whitehorn
> <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>  wrote:

>>> Yes, this was discussed in the PR (see
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2011-December/019270.html
>>> ). I think the best and safer way would be for bsdinstall to create
>>> the link if possible.
>> This is very easy to do, and the correct place is in
>> /usr/src/usr.sbin/bsdinstall/scripts/config. I don't have a good
>> sense of what the correct logic is, however, and so would appreciate
>> either guidance or patches from emulation-types.
> mkdir /usr/compat
> ln -s /usr/compat /compat
>
> To be checked (maybe): can or are parts of this already handled in mtree
> files?
>   - Is /usr/compat already in a mtree file and if not why not?
>   - Can the link be handled in a mtree file and if yes, should it be
>     added there instead?

/usr/compat is not currently part of anything. There's also the problem
that the user may not actually want it on /usr (e.g. if /usr is
read-only or small). I think that for the purposes of 9.0, your
suggested patch will do the job, but longer-term, moving them to
LOCALBASE seems better. But that's my two cents.
-Nathan