Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 18:23:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, dg@root.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory leaks in libc

Bruce Evans writes:
> >So you both agree, then, that there is no point in wasting any more
> >time on this?
>
> Not quite.  It should be fixed someday.

As the person who originally brought up this bug about 6 months ago,
I agree with Bruce.. it should be fixed. I'm a little puzzeled as to
why Garrett keeps wanting to sweep it under the rug.

The idea of keeping a hash table of pointers that were gotten via
malloc() is simple enough. It would solve the problem for programs
than need it (a real world example of which exists at Whistle).

For programs that don't do a lot of putenv()/setenv(), which is
most programs, there would be no difference. In fact, we can optimize
for this common case, which is NO calls to putenv()/setenv(), by
not creating the hash table at all.

Now all we need is some enterprising soul to come up with the patch...

-Archie