Date:      Fri, 02 Aug 2002 09:11:08 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Evan Sarmiento <evms@cs.bu.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP Photosmart 215

Evan Sarmiento wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Does FreeBSD has support for the HP photosmart 215 USB digital
> camera? I doubt it, as I think I've tried before. I guess
> a solution would be to use a usb flash card reader and
> take the pictures from the camera like that, but,
> I was just curious if it was indeed supported or if
> there are any 3rd party drivers available for that camera.

Have you tried gphoto?  Even though your camera isn't listed
in the "supported" list, many cameras use the same protocol as
other cameras in their product line.  I'd just try them all to
see if one works.

Supposedly some HP cameras will come up as umass, in which
case all you would have to do is plug the camera in and
mount it like a drive.

Unfortunatly the digitial camera industry is still in the
propretary protcols stage of life.  Almost every camera
has it's own custom protocol that they jealously guard
for some reason.  I was hoping by now that the manufacturers
would get tired of supporting dozens of protocols and finally
come up with an open standard, but so far there has been no
sign of this happening.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer