Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:32:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>
To:        provencial1@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible trojan since upgrade

On 27 Sep, Heywood Jblome wrote:
> Since I upgraded to a recent Stable CVSUP, I've seen
> this kind of message about once a day in the
> /var/log/maillog file.  I suspect a trojan as the
> "root" user did not send email at this time, there is
> no matching entry indicating that the mail was sent,
> queued, or so forth.  The system seems to slow after
> this entry shows in the logs.

It looks more like some spammer has discovered that the host at IP
address 217.58.38.101 is an unsecured proxy is either attempting to spam
you or to use your host as a spam relay.  According to the second log
entry, this attempt is being rejected because 217.58.38.101 is listed in
the relays.osirusoft.com database.  Complain to
<abuse@interbusiness.it>, but don't get your hopes up.

The first entry appears to be unrelated because it is a different
sendmail process ID, and the soure IP address, 202.80.192.29, is
different.  In this case, it looks like a spammer may be attempting to
get past any filters and relay his junk email through your host by using
<root@zzzzzz.com> as the return address.  Grep the log file for more
entries from sendmail pid 1742 to see if this spammer is succceeding or
if his attempts are being rejected.

If spammers are exploiting your mail server it is likely to feel the
impact.

Be very sure that your server is not vulnerable to being used to relay
third party email, since this is sure to attract spammers.  One way of
testing it is to telnet to relay-test.mail-abuse.org from the host in
question.