Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:50:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Open Source Development Laboratory ...

Err.  That was supposed to be a response, not an empty message.  :-)

I was also interested in this, but a rapid perusal of the web site for
Open Source Development Labs seemed to indicate a largely Linux thrust.
If you look at the mission statement and the list of sponsors, this is
fairly clear.  On the other hand, their mission statement does target the
entire application stack above Linux, so we may benefit from application
work.  Jordan has previously made some inroads on the Linux standard base,
and it's possible we could have some impact in the work targetted by the
labs.  Right now, the focus appears to have been on Linux kernel features.

I see there being at least a few ways we could impact their decision
making and funding process, and it's worth discussing these before
following through:

1) We can try to become active members of the open source development
labs, and remind them that Linux is not the be all and end all of open
source operating systems.  The *BSD systems exist, Darwin, as well as
GNU's hurd project.  They have online membership and comment forums, and
participating in those would be useful.  Also, they have a Linux community
liaison, Tim O'Reilly, who might be open to working with a broader
definition of "Open Source", possibly championing the cause, although
possibly not.  It's clear there's a financial motivation for the
supporting companies to target Linux, however, so that brings us to point
2.

2) We can try to identify sponsors on their current list willing to push
for a greater FreeBSD focus (IBM, for example, by virtue of Whistle), or
we can identify companies we would like to have join the Open Source
Development Labs.   Possible targets here might include Apple and BSDi,
who might benefit from library and application work, and improve the focus
from our perspective.

3) Another strong source of impact on OSDL will be the participants in
work funded by the labs.  We can try to remove involved and engaged in the
project work and make sure that reports of success in the funded project
space make sure the funding benefits all open source systems, not just
Linux.  That is, that library and application projects indicate that their
funding should not be restricted to developing to the Linux platform, or
place bias against other operating system support.  Reports back to OSDL
could include information on portability issues, cross-platform issues,
and not just Linux.

There are probably other things we could be doing here, and I'd welcome
discussion.  Usually, it's better when campaigning for change, to try and
debate through the options ourselves, decide on a course of action, and
then work in a concerted way.  Working as individuals and in an
un-coordinated way results in a less pleasant impact, especially when it
involves flames.  Witness the recent decision by tucows to drop BSD as a
support platform as a result of the apparently fractious response they
received as a result of an uncoordinated campaign.  Flaming people does no
good, and an organized campaign is a good idea.