Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:07:41 -0500
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@ds.net>
To:        Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        William Woods <freebsd@cybcon.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP routing.....

Brian Dean wrote:

> Or ... you could set up your dhcpd.conf file to recognize each system
> by it's hardware address and set up a separate entry for each machine
> so that it always gets a specific IP address.  For example:
>
> host nebula {
>   hardware ethernet 00:50:e4:ba:1c:22;
>   fixed-address nebula;
>   option routers 192.168.220.1;
>   option domain-name-servers 207.69.188.185, 207.69.188.186, 207.69.188.187;
>   option domain-name "foo.com";
>   default-lease-time 604800;
>   max-lease-time 2592000;
> }
>
> In this case "nebula" is an entry in the /etc/hosts file.  You can
> then install that host file on your 4 hosts.  Since it's only 4 hosts,
> it's not too much to keep track of and maintain.  Not as elegant as
> the BIND method, but it works for small installations.

I had considered adding that as a solution - but if he's just testing
this idea for a larger installation then it quickly becomes
impractical.  If you're going to go to the trouble of adding all that
information on a per host basis you might as well just set them up
manually.  :/

If there's really a practical reason (And I'm sure that there is) to do
that I'd love to hear about it.

Jim