Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:53:50 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Raymond Kohler <raymond.j.kohler@lmco.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questions about the state of current

Raymond Kohler wrote:
> I'm now a stable user, and I'm considering moving to current to get a jump
> on upgrading and help with the testing effort. I have some questions about
> its performance:
>
> 1) How is the speed compared to stable? I remember it being just too slow
> some months ago and was wondering how it was improving.

Most of the speed difference is WITNESS, INVARIANTS, and other
debugging code that's turned on by default in the config files
for -current.  You can turn most of it off.  That said, -current
is slower than -stable in a number of places, so expect some
slowdown, if you are running non-concurrent code.

> 2) Are the random hangs in X fixed yet? I can put up with a few issues
> (it is current, after all), but that's just too much to bear.

If you have been following chthe -current mailing list, you will
know that Bruce provided a patch last week which people are
reporiting has fixed the problem.

> 3) Are there any Very Important Packages (mozilla, kde, &c) that
> won't build or refuse to work right?

Gnome is having a problem, but given the problem it's having, it
will likely have the same problem on Solaris and several other OS's
(everywhere except on Linux).  It's because they are defining thread
routine replacement stubs when it's not necessary on the platforms
they are doing it on.  The fix will probably have to come from the
gnome community, but you can work around it by getting rid of the
linkage against libXThrStub.so.

-- Terry