Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:15:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Subject:   Re: gensetdefs using sh(1),sed(1),grep(1) and awk(1)

It seems Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG> [001220 00:35] wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 01:29:07AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > > I don't see what the big deal is in requiring perl is anyway.
> >
> > Because the festing pile of sh*t doesn't build properly too often.
> > How many reports have you seen of people who have a lot of trouble with
> > perl when upgrading?  We should make it so one can turn Perl off in the
> > world build, and still be able to build a kernel.
> >
> > Once running on a new kernel and new mostly-complete userland, they can
> > re-try bulding the world with perl.
>
> This is a bogus argument, people may have problems _compiling_ perl,
> but I've never heard of anyone having problems with the installed
> perl.

Ooohhh, do I have news for you then :)
At work we have nothing but trouble between various versions (or is
that subversions) of perl, its evil evil _evil_ EVIL..

> > > What makes it different than awk or sh or sed?
> >
> > They always build.
>
> And perl 'always' works.

No it does not, I stand with David here, get that perl crap out of the
kernel build, its hard to maintain (impossible if you didn't write it yourself
not too long ago) and we shouldn't need perl to build the kernel, period.

> What's your point?

Whats yours ?

-Søren - who is glad he can now speak freely :)