Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:36:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Danny Carroll <dannycarroll@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: net-snmp SNMP and FreeBSD

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Danny Carroll wrote:

> Is it possible to set the interface speed for tun0?
>
> I've tried it with a snmpset and I get this error:
> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifSpeed.11
>
> I've tried it with the interface option in snmpd.conf (interface tun0 23
> 10000000)
> It understands the option but won't enforce it.

ifSpeed is a read-only object:

ifSpeed OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Gauge32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
            "An estimate of the interface's current bandwidth in bits
            per second.  For interfaces which do not vary in bandwidth
            or for those where no accurate estimation can be made, this
            object should contain the nominal bandwidth.  If the
            bandwidth of the interface is greater than the maximum value
            reportable by this object then this object should report its
            maximum value (4,294,967,295) and ifHighSpeed must be used
            to report the interace's speed.  For a sub-layer which has
            no concept of bandwidth, this object should be zero."
    ::= { ifEntry 5 }

Joe