Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 15:51:11 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail [sending itself mail, backspacing?]

On 2002-03-31 22:33, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
> Of course, it is a problem in emacs, where ctrl-h invokes the help system.
> Keymapping in X fixes this problem, so that the backspace key doesn't send
> ctrl-h, but rather sends the DEL key. I'm not sure how to do that in the
> console.

C-h is a convenient way of invoking help within Emacs.  Of course, you can
change that.  Making BackSpace delete the character `behind the point' is
as easy as adding to your .emacs the following:

	(global-set-key "\C-h" 'backward-delete-char)

If you do that, you can still invoke Emacs' help with `M-x help' or bind
some other key to invoke the `help' function, like `ESC h' with proper key
mappings in your .emacs file.

	(global-set-key "\M-h" 'backward-delete-char)

I hope this helps a bit :)

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/