Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 1996 16:35:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SUPping CD-ROM source trees?

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> >> lndir is in the X11R6 tree.
> >Ah, okay... is there any way to do with without using X windows?
> lndir is a utility that is shipped with X. All you need is the little utility.
> Copy it from your CD.

Thanks to Richard Wackerbarth sending me the lndir file, I could try to
make the CD-ROM source base work. Unfortunately, I can't seem to win. I
tried using sup, assuming that there whould be only a VERY few changes
between 2.1.5 on the CD-ROM and 2.1.5-STABLE. Well, there do seem to be
only a couple of changes here and there, but sup INSISTS on bringing in
every file anyway.  I'm using what I *thought* would keep it doing that:

	sup -u stable-supfile

except that even if the file it is supping has exactly the same filedate
and size, it is still replacing the linked file with a new copy!  What the
heck am I doing wrong, or am I doomed from the outset in trying to
maintain an updated source tree based on the CD-ROM?

-Dave