Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 07:22:00 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        ANDREAS.KLEMM.AK@bayer-ag.de
Cc:        " - (052)stable(a)FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8 && CAM

In message <0006800007847535000002L052*@MHS>, ANDREAS.KLEMM.AK@bayer-ag.
de writ
es:

> Hi !
>
> I know this has been discussed several times, CAM won*%t make it into 2.2.x.
>
> But know I*%m bitten myself with this.
> I want to build up a new high performance server.
> Ideal would be an adaptec board called P2B-SL, which
> contains an AIC 7890 amd an Intel 82558.
>
> The on board ethernet chip is supported by FreeBSD-STABLE I found in
> the mailinglist archive. The AIC chip is only supported by CAM.
>
> Is there any possibility, to get a 2.2.8 system running with these components
> ,
> or could we agree, that a 2.2.9 with CAM would be worth as last super stable
> FreeBSD system in the 2.2.X line ?
>
> Or does somebody provide a CAM boot floppy, to get a FreeBSD system
> installed and are there CAM patches for 2.2.8 (-STABLE) to patch the kernel
> after installation ???
>
> I have to build the system in mid of January, that is the timeframe ....
>
> Well, I could try to use a 3.0-STABLE system in the hope that the 3.0-STABLE
> branch will be created at Jan 15th. But this doesn*%t bring me an installatio
> media ... Or I*%d have to install 3.0 and upgrade it ...
>
> Recommendations ? What would you do ?

The CAM patches will work on 2.2.8.  I've had them running on my 2.2.8
desktop system at work for about a month.  There is a catch however.
They do not apply to the 2.2.8 source cleanly, requiring some manual
editing of about 3 or 4 source files.  IIRC, the files that had
problems were a couple of Makefiles, mt.c, and another file.  Once
applied, they compiled cleanly and have run flawlessly for the past
month.  Prior to that the CAM patches ran flawlessly on a 2.2.7 and
2.2.6 system (same hardware).

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC