Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 06:13:28 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        thegage@kashmir.etowns.net, Artem Okounev <aokounev@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: configured irq not * in bitmap of probed irqs #,,, strange modem weirdness

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Matthew Emmerton wrote:

ME> > yes the appropriate line in my KERNCONF looks like:
ME> > device          sio2    at isa? port IO_COM3 irq 2
ME> > which is same as you suggested.
ME> > which is also the setting on the modem. it has jumpers
ME> > to set the irq and com port.
ME> > any other comment/suggestion?
ME> > thanks and best regards,
ME>
ME> I find it hard to believe that you've got a modem jumpered for IRQ 2.  Are
ME> you absolutely sure?

FWIW, irq 2 is legacy cascade irq to irq 9, and some of interrupt controllers
do not deal with it properly, especially at ISA bus.

I'd recommend to reconfigure your modem to irq 5, or irq 7 (depending on your
situation; do you need printer port or audio?), or disabling one of builtin
ports and configuring modem as a standard sio1.

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]