Date:      Thu, 15 May 2008 11:03:53 +0100
From:      "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
Cc:        Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how much memory does increasing max rules for IPFW take up?

Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> Vivek Khera wrote:
>> I had a box run out of dynamic state space yesterday.  I found I can
>> increase the number of dynamic rules by increasing the sysctl
>> parameter net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_max.  I can't find, however, how this
>> affects memory usage on the system.  Is it dyanamically allocated and
>> de-allocated, or is it a static memory buffer?
>
> Each dynamic rule allocated dynamically. Be careful, too many dynamic
> rules will work very slow.

Got any figures for this? I took a quick glance and it looks like it
just uses a hash over dst/src/dport/sport. If there are a lot of raw IP
or ICMP flows then that's going to result in hash collisions.

It might be a good project for someone to optimize if it isn't scaling
for folk. "Bloomier" filters are probably worth a look -- bloom filters
are a class of probabilistic hash which may return a false positive,
"bloomier" filters are a refinement which tries to limit the false
positives.

Having said that the default tunable of 256 state entries is probably
quite low for use cases other than "home/small office NAT gateway".

cheers
BMS