Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:54:53 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Peter Pentchev" <roam@orbitel.bg>, "Alan Clegg" <abc@firehouse.net>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mod_ssl port

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 09:29:37AM -0500, Alan Clegg wrote:
> > Are there any plans to create a "mod_ssl" only port?  I'm having a bitch
of
> > a time getting apache13-fp and apache13-modssl to play nicely together.
>
> I don't think this is possible, without compiling the stock Apache port
> with SSL support.  It's been mentioned quite a few times on this list
> that the SSL module needs an Apache binary compiled with the extended
> API support, and then some.

What I usually do is build apache13-modssl normally, and build apache13-fp
with an additional configure target of "--target=apache-fp".

Once everything is installed, I configure apache-fp to run on some other
port (say 8080) and then add a Rewrite rule to apache so that all requests
coming in on port 80 from UserAgent "MSFrontPage" are redirected to port
8080.

This works like a charm for the web people I have to support (since they
don't have to specify port 8080 to author any of their webs), and
conveniently "hides" the FP-extended server from public eyes, so there's
less of a security hole!

--
Matt Emmerton