Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 23:10:05 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old compiler (3.3-stable -> 4->stable)

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:28:28PM +0300, Valentin Nechayev wrote:
>  Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:41:59, avn (Alexey V. Neyman) wrote about "Re: Old compiler (3.3-stable -> 4->stable)":
>
> > >It is better now to do binary upgrade from 3.x to 4.3, if your Internet
> > >connection allows to download `bin' package (~50M). (But for mergemaster
> > >you must untar or cvsup full sources.) Upgrade via `make world' will
> > >fail in too many places, such as perl, gperf & groff, kernel...
> > I found the following sequence to be rather fail-safe:
> > 3.5.1-R -> 4.2-R -> 4.3-S, I tested it a few times and it have not failed
> > me.
>
> Of course, but is upgrade from source such important to you, preferrable
> than having secure system? 4.2-R is insecure, and you must use one additional
> make_world step which makes your system containing well-known holes
> for a few hours. I don't discuss here possibility of such way, but say
> that binary upgrade is better now.

You could of course just disconnect the machine during the make world.
Then any security holes shouldn't matter. For a slightly less drastic
option you could just avoid running any network daemons during the
intermediate steps. If nothing listens for a connection it should be
fairly safe.

> One can also compare this with the way needed to upgrade via make
> world chain from 2.2 to 4.3: one of the steps is 3.0, which is both
> insecure and unstable. I don't know any server in my epsilon environ
> which was upgraded from 2.2 in such way. Only binary upgrades.

Personally I have never done any binary upgrades on my systems but only
source upgrades. I don't really trust a binary upgrade to DTRT.
But that is me and if it works for you, fine.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson