Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:36:07 -0500
From:      freebsd-hackers@remdesign.net
To:        "Grover, Andrew" <andrew.grover@intel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I run CVSup through a firewall?

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 10:12:34AM -0800, Grover, Andrew wrote:
> It is a little tricky (IMHO) to set up, but you can use m3socks to allow
> cvsup to use a SOCKS proxy, if you have one of those. I'm also behind a
> firewall so that is what I did.
>
> Regards -- Andy
>
> > From: Ladislav Kostal [mailto:ladislav.kostal@fem.uniag.sk]
> > On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Dariush Azimi wrote:
> > > I can not access the internet without going through the firewall.
> >
> > I use to run small redirector (plug) on server with public IP
> > address and
> > then on client cvsup -g -L 2 -P m /etc/cvsupfile.

man cvsup gives a couple more ideas:

USING ssh PORT FORWARDING
     As an alternative to SOCKS, a user behind a firewall can penetrate it
     with the TCP port forwarding provided by the Secure Shell package ssh.
     The user must have a login account on the CVSup server host in order to
     do this.  The procedure is as follows:

     1.   Establish a connection to the server host with ssh, like this:

          ssh -f -x -L 5999:localhost:5999 serverhost sleep 60

          Replace serverhost with the hostname of the CVSup server, but type
          `localhost' literally.  This sets up the required port forwarding.
          You must start cvsup before the 60-second sleep finishes.  Once the
          update has begun, ssh will keep the forwarded channels open as long
          as they are needed.

     2.   Run cvsup on the local host, including the arguments `-h localhost'
          on the command line.

and

CVSup AND FIREWALLS
     In its default mode, cvsup will work through any firewall which permits
     outbound connections to port 5999 of the server host.  With slightly more
     permissive firewall rules it may be possible to use passive mode or one
     of the other modes, for a very slight gain in efficiency.  See the
     description of the -P option for details.

     For more information on using CVSup with specific kinds of firewalls, see
     the CVSup FAQ at <http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/>.

--devin
--
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen: whatever you say to them they
translate into their own language, and forthwith it is something