Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:28:28 +0100
From:      "Morten A . Middelthon" <morten@freenix.no>
To:        Jeroen Heijungs <Jeroen.Heijungs@Het-Muziektheater.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware Dell or BSDi

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 08:46:54AM +0100, Jeroen Heijungs wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are going to buy our first 1U 19" rack server (pizzacarton size), and
> probably there will be more in the future, they have to run FreeBSD
> 4.1-stable.
>
> Normally we buy all our hardware at Dell, they also have this kind of
> servers, for instance the PowerApp Web 100, we have also seen this kind of
> servers form BSDi.com, they have FreeBSD preinstalled, and say they are
> completely optimized. But they are considerably more expensive.
>
> Can anyone tell me more about both these servers, how good is the BSDi
> machine (and the organization), does FreeBSD install on the Dell and so on?

I've bought two 1U boxes from BSDi and am so far very pleased with them. They
are very noisy, but who cares about? :) At least they've got a couple of
additional cooling-fans, which is quite nice. The only thing I'd like to
comment about them is that BSDi SO INCREDIBLY FSCKING slow to deliver the
boxes to us... we're still waiting for three more servers I ordered ages ago.
I live in Norway, so the orders are handled by the Swedish
office, so if you live in the States you may not have the same problems.

Since they can deliver 1U boxes with everything from Celeron CPUs and IDE
disks to dual PIII with SCSI disks they can be used for alot different tasks.

--
Morten A. Middelthon
Freenix Norge