Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:04:45 -0400
From:      "aerial_gus" <aerial_gus@prokyon.com>
To:        "Jeff Erickson" <jperickson@gmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Person new to FreeBSD needs help...

For what this is worth...

It looks like something loaded. That 'ok' prompt is not what I would really
call a bootloader in the sense of allowing you to pick an OS/partition to
load. It comes up when the system can't find a bootable kernel; thus the
'trying kernel.old'. It's what you get when you screw up a kernel
re-compile, but I'm assuming you haven't gotten that far yet. IIRC, there
are a certain number of commands you can run at that prompt. Type a '?' to
list them. I think you get a small number of shell cmds, too.

Part of the system loaded (it may all have loaded) but there's no bootable
kernel, which leaves you with pretty much nothing. It it were me, I'd just
try it again. It sounds like it's a pretty cut and dried install. I've never
had much luck w/Debian; if you can make that work, you can make FreeBSD
work.

Did you download a CD image? Maybe burn a new one. Or try a network
install...