Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:29:16 -0400
From:      "Michael A. Koerber" <mak@ll.mit.edu>
To:        Carl Makin <carl@xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Easy way to kill a 5.x/6.x box as a basic user.

I have found that ImageMagick writes to (and often fills up) /var/tmp...my system becomes sluggish,
dies, reboots.

The solution I have used is to 1) create a /usr/tmp, 2) remove /var/tmp , 3) make a symbolic link
between /usr/tmp and /var/tmp.

Perhaps ImageMagick could be patched to use a /usr/tmp directory for scratch.

Alternately, if one knew that this would be an issue, /var could be made to be a larger filesystem.

mike
Dr Michael A. Koerber
x3250