Date:      Tue, 07 May 2013 11:42:53 +0200
From:      archibald <archibald@ethernull.org>
To:        <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Status of ATI video acceleration =?UTF-8?Q?support=3F?=

On 2013-05-07 11:33, Sergey Jamy wrote:
> Who is this "Radeon X.Org"? I am know X.Org and radeon (AMD). Any
> other it
> is only a oss projects. AMD has official support for
> freebsd? Why we can't have self Radeon X.Org? Whatever we patching
> their
> code for compatibility with our kernel and (maybe) stdlibC.  Who
> prevents
> us from having your driver? Perhaps even the manufacturer will
> participate. For
> example, as was the case with ACPI.

Radeon X.org means that radeon driver that works with X.org.
Essentially the radeon driver no longer supports UMS (user modesetting),
and only supports KMS. Consequently, to use up to date versions of the
radeon driver, FreeBSD must have kernel modesetting for AMD cards. AMD
has no official support for FreeBSD.

Nothing is preventing the FreeBSD project from writing their own radeon
driver, but given the amount of code that would need to be written (and
the lack of developers working on FreeBSD compared to Linux), it's much
easier to port the Linux code than write it all from scratch.

Archibald