Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 21:16:07 -0400
From:      Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   tens of thousands of ip aliases

I'm working on an application where I am using a pair
of FreeBSD 4.5 boxes to simulate a much larger network,
with a device under test between them.

I need to simulate 10K's of IP addresses (actually, I would
like to do 100K's and higher, but am willing to use more
than one PC to get there).

On the 'server' side, this seems to be possible using
an ipfw fwd rule with no other special setup.

On the 'client' side, there seems to be nothing as simple as
this. As a test, I created ~36K if aliases (using ifconfig alias).
I found this got slower and slower as I went along. THe first
~8K or so went reasonly quickly, but I was able to go to
dinner and come back and it was still chewing on the remainder.

Q. Will the performance of this many aliases be ok?
Q. Is there another way to simulate an arbitrary source IP
(in the same way ipfw fwd can respond to an arbitrary dest
IP)? Ideally I could specify for each socket I create with
a setsockopt or ioctl the source IP to use. This is ignoring
routing rules etc.

--don