Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 17:00:09 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <rsm@acm.org>
To:        "Gerald F. Wachel" <audio@theworks.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ideboot floppie

On Sat, Sep 12, 1998 at 09:12:23AM -0700, Gerald F. Wachel wrote:
> I bought the Free BSD version 2.2.1 I keep trying to install it but, I
> think that I need the atapi boot floppy. I is not in the cdrom/floppies
> directory or any where on the cdrom. I have an ide cdrom as a slave off
> the primary. I also have the boot file in the first 504m on the hard
> drive. Please let me know were to get the atapiboot floppy, inst_ide.bat
> or how to make it because it is not on the cdrom. Do I even need it?
>I get all the way to a prompt that tells me that the installation has
>completed with errors and sends me back to the first installation
>window. I am stuck please help me with this problem.

Who on earth sold you a copy of 2.2.1?  It's about 18 months old now and
things have moved on considerably since then.  You need to go find whoever
you bought it from, poke them with a sharp stick until they give your money
back, then get a copy of 2.2.7 (from Walnut Creek CDROM at www.cdrom.com if
noone in your local area has it).

I can't recall if 2.2.1 had a separate ATAPI boot floppy or not.  The
GENERIC kernel config on my 2.2.1 CDs includes ATAPI CDROM support, so I
imagine there wasn't a separate boot file for it.  You might want to try
moving your CDROM drive to be the master on the secondary controller, if
you have one.  My piece'o'crap Creative drive needed this treatment to make
it work back then.  Still, the best advice is to ditch 2.2.1 and get 2.2.7.

HTH,

	Scott.