Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 15:18:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail default permissions??

> > If it weren't for NFS mounts, I'd suggest devising a common mail
> > API and making all mail programs use it.
>
> And I would suggest that we already have one, and it consists of the
> following routines:
>
> 	open(2),
> 	flock(2),
> 	link(2),
> 	unlink(2),
> 	read(2),
> 	write(2),
> 	lseek(2),
> and	close(2)

How does this API enforce RFC compliant message formats better than
or equvalent to enforcement by any potential replacement API?

By recoding (probably erroneously) the requirements in each and every
application that deals with mail, you say?

In code whose intent is to performs identical function but which is
yet unshared between these applications, needlessly duplicating
massive amounts of programming effort?

Seems silly to me...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org