Date:      Thu, 9 Feb 2012 22:24:11 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: known problems with 8.x and HP DL16 G5 server?

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 04:02:12PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 2/9/12 1:56 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> >On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 01:48:29PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >>does anyone know of problems with freebsd and this system?
> >>
> >>the kernel We tried to boot seems to stop somewhere in the ahci probing.
> >Few things:
> >
> >1) Possible to get full console output (e.g. serial, etc.) from a verbose
> >boot?
>
> it's freebsd 8.2 from a TrueNAS/FreeNAS. I'm actually at ix-systems
> at the
> moment.. but I wasnhoping someone could save us some time by saying
> "Oh yeah, merge in change number xxxxxx"
>
> >2) Can you also provide the exact release/tag/kernel/thing you're trying
> >to install or upgrade to ("8.x" is a little vague; there are all sorts
> >of changes that happen between tags).  For example 8.1 is not going to
> >behave the same necessarily as 8.2.
> >
> >3) When you say "ahci probing", are you booting a standard installation
> >CD/DVD/memstick of, say, 8.2?  If so, those won't make use of the
> >AHCI-to-CAM translation layer (and that AHCI code is also different than
> >the native-ATA-AHCI code), so you might try, when booting the system,
> >dropping to the loader prompt and issuing "load ahci.ko" before typing
> >"boot".  See if that helps.  If it does, great, use it (ahci_load="yes"
> >in /boot/loader.conf) permanently (and benefit from things like NCQ
> >too).
> let me forward you an image...
> >4) If it's an Intel ESB2 controller, I believe there were some fixes or
> >identification shims put in place for this in recent RELENG_8, which
> >wouldn't be available in RELENG_8_2 or 8.2-RELEASE CD/DVDs.  I could be
> >remembering the wrong controller though.  Hmm...
> >

> that may be what we are looking for.
>
> I'll try get more info.

For others: the last few lines in the kernel log are:

acpi_hpet0: <High Precision Event Timer> iomem 0xfed00000-0xfed003ff on acpi0
acpi_hpet0: vend: 0x8086 rev: 0x1 num: 3 hz: 14318180 opts: legacy_route 64-bit
Timecounter "HPET" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 900
acpi: wakeup code va 0xffffff848311d000 pa 0x4000
ahc_isa_probe 0: ioport 0xc00 alloc failed

I don't see any indication of AHCI problems here (or AHCI at all).
ahc_isa_probe is for the ahc(4) controller -- Adaptec SCSI.

A verbose boot might be more helpful.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                 jdc@parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking                     http://www.parodius.com/ |