Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:28:18 -0700
From:      Ben Lovett <blovett@bsdguru.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3 on Inspiron 8000

I believe I saw Daniel O'Connor (doconnor@gsoft.com.au) write this:

> On 21-Jun-2001 Ben Lovett wrote:
> >  Hrm.. I do not have a Xircom PCMCIA card, but maybe someone else on the
> >  -mobile list would be able to help you..
>
> I have the minipci fxp + winmodem and I get fxp SCB and DMA timeouts after
> upgrading the BIOS :(
> (I had A4 now A10 - both exhibit the same problem).
Hrm... Are you using the miibus if'ied fxp driver?  I am not, due to
some of the problems that arose when it was committed..  I would be
willing to try again when I next upgrade my system, but as it is working
perfectly right now, I do not wish to break anything ;)  You might try
the non-miibus driver, although, I do not see how adding miibus calls
to the code could cause the system to hang, but then again, I am not a
programmer, nor do I have any understanding of what the new driver does.
> Also, once I suspect the USB controller stops working (controller error I
> think) - never to return either.
I have not had a chance to try anything USB, but I'll try it when I do
;-)

> The weird thing is that now I get SCB timeouts but the fxp can still ping..
> weeeird :)

That is kinda weird.. Is that from another machine, or the laptop?
> I am using the driver for the WinModem kindly written by WATANABE Kiyoshi
> <aab10490@pop16.odn.ne.jp> but I have found a guaranteed way to crash it :)
>
> cu -l /dev/cual0 -s 57600
> ATH1
> ~.
>
> *boom* :(
>
> No  panic, just hangs solid - I don't know if it is possible to get a further
> diagnostic, but if anyone has a suggestion I am quite willing to try :)

I'll take your word on that.. I'm actually just using my trusty 3com 56k
pccard, but I did install the lucent shims and they do work perfectly.

> ---
> Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> "The nice thing about standards is that there
> are so many of them to choose from."
>   -- Andrew Tanenbaum

Hope this helps!