Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2012 19:11:53 -0500
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        peter weismann <pit@weispit.eu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Opera browser on FreeBSD

On 20 November 2012 13:23, peter weismann <pit@weispit.eu> wrote:
> I find two native FreeBSD ports for OPERA.
> With that I want to say, I am not using Linux-Opera anymore.
> But since some time, I had installed
> www/opera-devel
> and
> www/opera
> at the same time and played with them. Now I see, that opera has a
> greater release-level then opera-devel.
> That makes no sense.

Yes, opera.com is rolling out releases fairly quickly
these days, & www/opera-devel doesn't get updated often
enough to make much sense.  What I do (when I wish to
run test versions) is poke my tube machine on over to
http://http://www.opera.com/browser/next/
pull down the correct file, then untar it into a directory,
copy the profile/ directory over (if needed) & run it
from the local users directory.

This way we don't have stray files clotting up /usr/local
& don't have to rely on the whims of the maintainer
to update a rather fast-moving target.