Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 21:40:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        kls@ohare.chicago.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more data on "calcru: negative time: -nnn usec"

> APM strikes again.
>
> You cpu was slowed down while you booted the other two times.
>
> The RAM is worse, check out the npx0 flags in LINT and try that.
>
> Poul-Henning

This problem also occurs on a Cyrix Media-GX with APM disabled.
APM is totally disabled, as is VM86().

We know APM is disable because the SMI on Cyrix Media-GX processors
is partially handled through the system BIOS, and the system BIOS
does not have code to handle the SMI requests, and the machine would
reset if the entry points were called.

The machine does not reset.

This is pretty clearly a problem with the monoclock not acting like
a monoclock, and/or a scaled version of the clock, rather than the
monoclock itself, being used for timestamping.

The only time the monoclock data should be scaled is when the data
is externalized as a wall clock value.

I think Bruce Evans point about the diagnostics he suggested in a
recent posting on this subject to -current, and the accompanying
analysis he did, stands, in the face of the problem occurring on
an APM-less system which has no power consumption management in
either hardware or software, whatsoever.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.