Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 1995 15:14:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: A problem with disklabel & "use entire disk" on 2.0.5R.

As Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> Be carefull with doing that, DOS 6.22 install is not very friendly about
> partition tables that are incorrect and will kindly fdisk/format your
> FreeBSD right into oblivia with 2 taps of enter after booting the
> install disk :-(.
> Please, valid and correct partition tables are _critical_ to making
> sure Microslop code does not wipe you out!!!

You've missed my point, Rod: i'm speaking about those of us who don't
even bother to think of ``Kleinstweich'' and who don't think about the
machine being a PeeCee but a `real machine'.  Those guys (and there
are many) are never going to give MessDos a chance to see the disk,
but are somewhat upset to be forced thinking within those braindead
categories they'd rather not like to think at all -- that's why
they've chosen FreeBSD.  I don't ask for this being a default, but a
valid option for those who know about the potential problems.  I've
got about a dozen computers in my reach that will fall into this
category.

(And even if i'd going to sell a used disk so that the partition table
contents might become important, i'd dd if=/dev/zero a reasonable
amount of sectors on the disk before giving it away.)

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/