Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 00:30:44 -0700
From:      Scott Corey <sbcorey@azstarnet.com>
To:        Dave Page <davecpage@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken XFree86 installation!  Help!

Dave Page wrote:

> I have installed FreeBSD!!  (Yes!)
>
> During install I tried to install XFree86, but I think I botched something.
> I get this error:
>
> "Fatal server error:  No valid modes found.
>
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)."
>
> I am brand-spankin'-new to BSD.  With this in mind, what should I do?  Run
> xf86config?  Or is it easier to modify the XF86Config file?
>
> Also, what did I fail to do?

All of the above!

> Dave
>
> davecpage@earthlink.net
> davecpage@hotmail.com

You must configure Xfree86 to your monitor and video card. Run XFSetup
or xf86config, both will walk you through configuration. However, before
doing either of these, have ALL of the information i.e. what type of
video card, how much memory, what type of monitor, etc...

In fact just go to http://www.xfree86.org .

Scott
--
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of government]
those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations,