Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 14:15:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        dekkard@sprynet.com (Richard Storey)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD/Linux

In a previous message, Richard Storey said:
> I searched the list for answers to this question, but found only
> questions with no attached answers nor any string to follow.
>
> Are applications interchangeable between Linux & BSD?  Probably a dumb
> question and I suspect the answer is no, but I know nothing about
> Unix-type OS's.  I want to get out of the MS world for good, but can't
> switch unless i know for sure if there are apps out there that can take
> over the work for me.

Actually, the answer is yes with a footnote. Much of the software
available for Unix is available in source for and much is already
ported to Linux and BSD. BSD based systems used to be where most
software started in fact. Now I suspect it's Solaris. There is a
ton of software available.

Second. FreeBSD has a Linux compatibility mode, and stuff works well
for it. If Microsoft is an 800 lb gorilla, then Linux is a 600 lb
Orangutang. They are very capable of getting companies to port their
software to Linux. And that's good fo Unix in general. I'm happily
running FreeBSD 2.2.1 at home, and have the Linux Compat stuff in. It
runs Doom, and Acrobat Reader and Star Office just fine.

I'm having a little trouble with Star Office. It takes a long time
to come up, and I don't know if that's just the way it is, or if
I have something wrong. It seems to run fine once it's up. Though,
help functions haven't seem to come up yet.

BTW, Star Office is a productivity suite. And it's free for non-
commercial use. Pretty nice, too.

Linux gives you a wide range of drivers for different hardware, and
the freedom to mix and match, kernels, libraries and applications.

FreeBSD gives you a more stable platform with a slightly smaller set
of device drivers.

Paul.

--
"History: Those who ignore it are condemned to repeat it... Math, too."
				- From the Comic Strip "Betty"