Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:27:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        David Murphy <drjolt+freebsd-stable@redbrick.dcu.ie>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Voxware is toast. Get used to it. (Re: Suggestions for improving newpcm performance?)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, David Murphy wrote:

> Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't know what the 2.X->3.X upgrade
> procedure was like,

	Remarkably similar. We put the big, hairy, compatability breaking
changes in the major version bumps. We have learned a few lessons from the
last version upgrade cycle, some are left to be learned anew.

> but upgrading from 3.4 to 4.0 is fiddly, and it
> doesn't help that the instructions are counterintuitively at the
> bottom of /usr/src/UPDATING which, to the untrained eye, looks like a
> changelog, and lusers like me don't read changelogs to see if someone
> happened to put vital instructions at the bottom of it.

	Caveat compiler. We NEVER suggest that lusers (or, less
experienced users) upgrade from source, even for a point release. We
ALWAYS tell them to upgrade from CD, or wipe their disk and do a clean
install. If you choose the upgrade from source path, YOU take
responsibility for adequately educating yourself. Period, end of story.

Doug
--
"While the future's there for anyone to change, still you know it seems,
 it would be easier sometimes to change the past"

     - Jackson Browne, "Fountain of Sorrow"