Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 01:56:44 EST
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Merger, and ...

Hi:
To throw some light on this ongoing converstation, prehaps it is worthwhile
to go to the source:
Linus Torvalds recently described his view of the Linux trademark:
    http://linuxtoday.com/stories/15302.html

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that Linus' remarks were prompted, at
least in part, by a firm called (I believe) "LinuxOne" which many in the
Linux communitiy believed was trying to unjustly benefit from the Linux
mania by doing an IPO without Linux or Open Source credentials (a months-old
company with no Linux veterans, and a copied and/or hurried-to-market
distro, etc.).

My 2cents:
It is in both WC/BSDI's and FreeBSD developers and users interest that 1)
the aims and integrity of FreeBSD are respected, and 2) FreeBSD grows in
usage.  It seems natural that over time, this will lead to a greater
separation between FreeBSD and WC/BSDI and additional commercial
distributors/ventures.  This may evolve in a way similar to linux but will
probably also have some unique characteristics.

Mostly, the current discussion demonstrates the need for WC/BSDI to provide
as much information about their plans as soon as possible.

John