Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:44:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Elliott Perrin <eperrin@beanfield.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mpd PPTP and NAT

On Apr 12, 2002: Archie Cobbs eloquently stated the following:

> Archie Cobbs writes:
> > > that is exactly what I am seeing, the clients are behind this stupid
> > > little GVC IP0008 machine, and I am using your mpd software for the pptp
> > > server. I know about the "BUG" in libalias.
> > >
> > > Is this part of the PPTP spec, that only one TCP control connection can be
> > > open to an IP, or is it a purely libalias thing.
> >
> > Yes it is part of the PPTP spec.. however, I've seen servers
> > that ignore the spec and accept multiple connections from a
> > single remote source. Mpd should probably do the same thing
> > when configured for 'server only' mode.. hmm, maybe I'll look
> > into that (will send you a patch if/when).
>
> Please try the patch below and see if it works.
> I haven't tested it at all myself..
>
> Thanks,
> -Archie
> Archie Cobbs     *     Packet Design     *     http://www.packetdesign.com

I definitely will....

I solved the problem for now, but not very elegant to say the least.

I am using ipfilter round-robin rdr rules to map the public IP on this
machine, to 10 private IP's on the internal NIC.

I rewrote my mpd.conf to listen on these IP's instead, and it is working,
but has not had a load thrown at it yet.

I am going to apply this patch on another mpd machine I have running and
see if it solves the problem. Then i can get rid of my nasty ipnat and ipf
rules that i had to write to make it work.

Thanks a bunch, will let you know in the next 1-2 days

Regards,
Elliott Perrin
eperrin@beanfield.com