Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 2009 19:38:48 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@stokely.org>
To:        =?TIS-620?B?5L7D0aogyMPV4sK40g==?= <pirat@tint.or.th>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: who uses FreeBSD

2009/10/20 =E4=BE=C3=D1=AA =C8=C3=D5=E2=C2=B8=D2 <pirat@tint.or.th>:
> hi sirs,
>
> i found that some sites lited in
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/nutshell.html#I=
NTRODUCTION-NUTSHELL-USERS
> shows up =A0linux as their os. =A0which are www.163.com, www.sony.co.jp,
> www.juniper.net, www.cisco.com .

Juniper and Cisco have products based on FreeBSD.  In the former case,
almost all of their product line.  That is why they are listed in the
top section "FreeBSD is used as a platform for devices and products
from many of the world's largest IT companies, including:".  We don't
claim anything about what OS they use as a webserver, if they even run
their own webservers.

Only the second list makes any claim about what operating system
companies use for their web server, such as 163.com and sony.co.jp.
They can be hidden behind a CDN or other issues that make it more
difficult to determine.  It doesn't strictly mean that the front end
component is running FreeBSD.  Still, if we have no evidence we
shouldn't be claiming it.  I don't know anything about NetEast /
163.com anyway, and am not sure how prominent of a site this really
is.  If it appears those two sites no longer run FreeBSD then we
should remove them from this list and thank you for bringing this up.

             - Murray