Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:43:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        "'Bill A. K.'" <billieakay@yahoo.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: roots shell

Bill,
Many people have given many solutions.  There is one thing, that all of the
commands given do, that no one has mentioned to you.  After you edit the
master.passwd file you need to rebuild the database for it, by running the
pwd_mkdb.  If you don't run pwd_mkdb the system ignores any changes that
you've made in master.passwd.

The easier solution is to use use "vipw" which opens up the master.passwd
file with vi (or whatever editor EDITOR is set to).  Also, using the chfn,
chpass, & chsh all also run the pwd_mkdb command after making your edits.

Hopes this helps.
-Chris