Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:41:27 -0600
From:      Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multimedia/zoneminder: rc script runs mysql commands?

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:16:45 -0600, Boris Samorodov <bsam@passap.ru> wrote:

> The problem is: while start-up zoneminder is launched after mysql
> was started but is not responding yet. Then zoneminder can't register
> it's cameras, etc. This hack was introduced to catch the moment when
> mysql really is operational and then start zoneminder.
> If someone has a solution -- you are welcome.

Instead of hacking up zoneminder's rc script with further patches like
pulling out the real mysql server, database, username and password perhaps
we should see if we can get the mysql maintainer(s) to fix the mysql rc
script so it doesn't exit until the service is fully fired up and
functional? I imagine what you've described is a situation where MySQL has
a lot of databases/tables/etc and churns for a bit before accepting
connections, but if it finally hits a badly crashed table or something and
doesn't complete starting up but the rc script already exited... that
wouldn't be good.

Advantage: better behavior
Disadvantage: slows up the start process of all dependent services.

This is all speculation at this point, but it seems silly that the mysql
rc script would finish before the database can really accept connections.