Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 14:02:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PKGINFO statistics

In short, it would be appreciated if you could execute the command below
on your FreeBSD box. It is harmless.

	/usr/sbin/pkg_info -aI | \
		 /usr/bin/mail -s "PKGINFO `hostname`" \
			nick.hibma@jrc.it

(this command should be all on one line, like:

/usr/bin/pkg_info -aI | mail -s "PKGINFO `hostname`" nick.hibma@jrc.it

The `hostname` in the subject is there to be able to filter out
duplicates but is not required at all, in case you want to send it
anonymously.

It sends me a list of all the packages you have installed on the machine
you execute the command on.

Reason to do this:

In a discussion the idea came up to see if profiles for the usage of
packages could be found. If a large number of these pkg_info lists are
retrieved we can try to find relations between each two installed
packages.

This could be used to offer predefined profiles to the user when
installing packages. This avoids the user to having to wade through the
entire list of packages when deciding what to install. The directory
structure present in the /usr/ports directory already provides a means
to do this but this could be improved upon.

See for a more elaborate discussion the message below.

Thanks for your help and my apologies for the cross posting.

Please note that I am not subscribed to any of the mailing lists (except
hackers) and any flames should be sent to my personal address only. I
will collect all the flames and post a digest. :-)

Nick Hibma

========