Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:23:07 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Sen Hu <sen_hu123@yahoo.com>
Cc:        BSD Journal - general <general@shell.bsdjournal.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.6

On Monday, 28 June 1999 at 23:38:22 -0700, Sen Hu wrote:
> <general@shell.bsdjournal.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Sen Hu wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I installed FreeBSD 2.2.6 CDROM in a Pentium computer with Window
>>> 95. Since then, everytime I reboot the computer, the screen shows
>>> "Default: F1 ...BSD".  And I can not use Window 95 anymore? Please
>>> advise how I can launch and use window 95.
>>>
>>> ps. If I reboot the computer with a bootable floppy disk, the C
>>> drive becomes the CDROM drive (D drive in previous setting) and I
>>> can not find the hard drive.
>>>
>>> Your advise is highly appreciated.
>>
>> Looks like you deleted your '95 partition... big loss.
>>
>> There *was* sarcasm in that sentance, can you find it?
>
> If the situation is that serious, there should be a warning about
> the installation will cause losing the existing operation system.

Agreed.  It's been a long time since I've read all the documentation,
but at the critical phase, before you started the install proper, you
answered YES to this message:

  Last Chance!  Are you SURE you want continue the installation?

  If you're running this on an existing system, we STRONGLY
  encourage you to make proper backups before proceeding.
  We take no responsibility for lost disk contents!

> I cannot laugh under this circumstance. Is there any way to recover
> that loss? Please help.

It depends on what you've done.  What does BSD fdisk tell you?  Show
the exact message, not what you think is important.

> I hope it is not the nightmare I am afraid of.

Before you install *any* important software, you should ensure you
have a backup of important files.  Not doing so is asking for trouble.

Greg