Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 13:40:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Mack <jtmack@orion.sirius.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Device de0 dropping

	Hi,

	I have a 486DX4 PCI machine with a Compex ReadyLink PCI
ethernet card, Adaptec 1542 SCSI and some generic VGA video
card. I am using the staple GENERIC kernel and have not tried
recompiling yet on this system.

	The problem is, I have about 20 aliasesed IP addresses
on the de0 interface and every day the device just seems to disappear
and not receive or send any packets. I checked the messages before
this happens and there is no indication of any errors occuring. Before I
increased the memory and changed the network card I used to
receive "mb_map full" errors. But since I put more memory in
the "mb_map full" only pops up in the messages every 5th or so time
the device decides to die. Sometimes I can even ifconfig down the device
and then ifconfig the device back up with success. But when I do that the IP
address that shows up when I do a 'ifconfig de0' as the local and
broadcast are one of the aliased ones and not the original.
Any ideas? Anymore information you want me to provide?.

Thanks for listening.

Jim Mack <jtmack@sirius.com>