Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:33:05 -0600
From:      Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        Richard Sharpe <rsharpe@ns.aus.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tuning for samba

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 12:33:30AM -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> Richard Sharpe wrote:

> > > Even with just one connection per machine, though, you're still going
> > > to have a significant amount of swappable memory in idle smbd
> > > processes.
> >
> > Yes, I agree. Something that I would like to do more about by making sure
> > that as much as possible is shared.
>
> At over 4MB per process (4252K each on my server), I should hope that
> most of it is already shared.

With my testing last night, 350 clients each writing used ~700M of cache
(with was the data being writen) and only ~100M of active memory.  There
was only a nominal amount swapped (probably getty and friends), so the
number of shared pages is actually quite high with ~2.1M of resident mem
showing for each process.  If it were otherwise I would have quickly
burned the 1G in the test server.

The only thing I managed to exhaust was mbuf clusters, and that was on
the clients first and finally on the server after a bit.

Thanks to everybody for their input and suggestions, and I'll let you
know how it works in the "wild" :).

--
Chad David        davidc@acns.ab.ca
www.FreeBSD.org   davidc@freebsd.org