Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:55:46 -0100
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        spork <spork@cncn.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RGB color maps

At 16:47 09.03.98 -0500, you wrote:
>Maybe I am misunderstanding the type of colors I am talking about.
>I AM starting the server in 24 bit per pixel mode. "startx --bpp 24" is

Try "startx -- -bpp 24"

Have a look at "xdpyinfo" for several X-server infos.

If you want to run X with XDM, just edit /usr/X11/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers and
add "-bpp 24" to the line starting the X-server.

>what I type. When I try and start a color hungry program like the "xtacy"
>kaleidascope from the ports and another color lover like netscape, the
>second one complains about not being able to allocate enough colors. Does
>this clarify the matter any?

;)
Be aware of:
Some older X-apps only support pseudo-color-visuals (for example an older
version of xtici) and refuse running on true-color-visuals.

Hope that helps.

Malte Lance
malte@webmore.com