Date:      Mon, 23 May 2011 08:40:13 -0700
From:      Evan Martin <evan@chromium.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ren=E9_Ladan?= <r.c.ladan@gmail.com>
Cc:        chromium@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chromium on FreeBSD presentation

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Ren=E9 Ladan <r.c.ladan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I gave a presentation during BSDCan about Chromium, the sheets are
> available here:
> ftp://rene-ladan.nl/pub/chromium-bsdcan.pdf

For what it's worth, we take privacy seriously and our bad reputation
is not deserved.  It is frustating to see you call out "spy code" in
the header of a slide.  Features you mention on that slide, like
geolocation, require the user to explicitly grant that information to
the site that requests it (geolocation uses an infobar, sync you must
first enable through the preferences, etc.).  The malware/phishing
blocking code goes to great effort to avoid sending information about
the URLs you're visiting.  Features like that, where there is a
utility/privacy tradeoff, are clearly grouped together under a
"privacy" heading in the preferences.

Here's more about privacy in Chrome:
  http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/chrome/google-chrome-privacy-whitep=
aper.pdf

If you ever find any code that does something you find problematic
from a privacy standpoint, I would love to hear about it.